Happy Monday, friends! Why so happy? Because Monday is the day we share the CSA Share Ninja Rescue, a weekly feature in which you tell me on Fridays what veg you got in your CSA share box (or found at the farmers' market) that you don't know what to do with and I'll give you a whole bunch of recipe ideas on the following Monday.
Not surprisingly, I've been asked to provide some suggestions for using up cucumbers. If you're a gardener, you know how sneaky these guys can be. One day there's a tiny little bud or two on the vine and then -- BAM! -- seemingly overnight you've got a garden full of cucumbers.
I won't bore you this with a gajillion pickle recipes, either: we've pretty much covered that in other posts, so be sure to check out The Pickling Ninjipedia for all the pickling ideas you could ever want.
And, let's face it, you're probably already weary of the raw cucumber salad, right? No worries: The Ninj has got 10 delicious, salad-free ways to enjoy your cucumbers this year:
- Asian pork burgers with quick pickled cucumbers: A great alternative to beef or turkey burgers -- and the easy, spicy pickles give it an awesome kick
- Cucumber and avocado chowder with shrimp: A cold soup from Mark Bittman that's hearty enough to be a summertime meal
- Gazpacho: Perhaps the most tried-and-true method for using up all your tomatoey, cucumbery bounty
- Refrigerator pickles: My go-to quick pickle recipe -- it's crazy how many jars of these I make every summer
- Tzatziki: This Greek cucumber-yogurt dip is a cool condiment for grilled meat (think turkey burgers) but also delicious with pita chips as a simple snack
- Cucumber nut bread: Akin to zucchini bread but uses shredded cukes instead
- Cucumber-melon salsa: Lovely paired with fish or chicken
- Cucumber-mint ice cream: Come on, you know you've just gotta try this!
- Cucumber-lime aqua fresca: A gorgeous and refreshing summer sipper
- Cucumber gimlet: The Ninj can always find a way to turn veggies into a cocktail
What's your favorite way to use cucumbers? The Ninj wants to know.