It is indeed Monday, the day we share the CSA Share Ninja Rescue, a weekly feature in which you tell me on Fridays what veg you got in your CSA share box (or found at the farmers' market) that you don't know what to do with and I'll give you a whole bunch of recipe ideas on the following Monday.
But the feature may look a little different today. I decided to shake things up a little and not focus on specific vegetables but on a technique instead.
So today we're talking preserving: namely, preserving through pickling.
Pickling is a great way to preserve a lot of the garden's excess bounty to enjoy over the winter months, when your CSA or garden isn't overloading you with delicious, colorful veggies.
Additionally, I tried to include a lot of recipes and posts from some of my favorite bloggers, rather than just recipes from professional chefs and foodie mags (although they are represented as well). Who knows? You might find a new blog to follow!
Lastly, for all of you who are thinking, "Great, Ninj, but I don't can!" or perhaps, "This is lovely, Ninj, but I don't like cucumbers!" -- don't worry, I've got you covered, too. (Come on, would The Ninj leave you hanging?!!!)
Let's get pickling, shall we?
Cucumber Pickles (canned)
- Garlic Dill Pickles from Food in Jars
- Dill Spears from Sherri Brooks Vinton's Put 'Em Up
- Best-Evah Dill Pickles from The Ninj
- Curry Pickles from Homemade Trade
- Sweet-n-spicy Bread and Butter Pickles from Martha Stewart
Other Pickled Vegetables (canned)
- Pickled Chard Stems from Local Kitchen
- Pickled Garlic Scapes from The Garden of Eating
- Carrot and Daikon Radish Pickle from What Julia Ate
- Pickled Pepper Rings from Sweet Domesticity
- Pickled Rhubarb from Well Preserved
- Quick Cucumber Pickles from Rachel Ray
- Cider Vinegar Pickled Beets from Food and Wine
- Pickled Radishes from Bon Appetit
- Refrigerator Dilly Beans from The Ninj
- Pickled Eggs from What Julia Ate
- Fermented Dill Pickles from The Ninj
- Fermented Honey-Garlic Pickles from Well Preserved
- Pickled Carrots from David Lebovitz
- Pickled Green Strawberries from Kitchen Apparel (guesting on Shared Appetite)
- Pickled snow peas from Alana Chernila
Do you have a favorite pickling method or recipe? Leave a comment below: The Ninj wants to know.